An update from Missus
So, it has been a year…and two days. I wish I could say that my husband and I have not been updating this blog because we have been too busy getting it and being awesome. Sadly, this is not the case. For the past year we have taken strides in being healthier, but then also taken steps back. We are big on eating a lot of fresh produce now, for instance, but we are also big in to eating junk, like ice cream.
The plant-based diet did not work for us. I am pretty convinced that this was because we tried to go straight from meat-based to plant based. We set ourselves up for failure. Now we typically only eat meat at dinner, meat is not the main part of mots of our meals that contain meat, and we eat plenty of dinners that are meatless.
We are getting there…but then we slip. Sometimes I think we like to believe that what we eat after our daughter goes to bed does not count. We are very mistaken. We have made a list of criteria to help us with success:
- We will each update this tumblr at least once a week. I plan to do weigh in Wednesdays.
- When T is studying/coding he will get up and exercise (100 jumping jacks, squats, sit ups, some combination of things, etc.) every 30 minutes. I will continue to stay active with our daughter. That, combined with breastfeeding, is probably the only reason I have really stayed at a healthy weight regardless of over eating regularly.
- T will go to the gym regularly (aiming for daily, aside from weekends, when he works his security job and will be walking a lot of his shift) and I will play Just Dance 2 or do Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred each day.
- I will make us all breakfast every day.
- Snack hierarchy: Hungry? Have some water. Still hungry? Eat a veggie. Wait at least an hour. Hungry? Have some water. Still hungry? Eat a fruit. Wait at least an hour. Hungry? Have some water. Still hungry? You have probably made it to a meal-time, but if you haven’t and aren’t close to one, you may have a snacky snack, like pretzels or nuts.
- Submit inspiration to the queue daily.
Today I weight 155 lbs. This is a healthy weight according to BMI for my height (5’10) but I would like to be slimmer and healthier. A year ago I weighed 156 lbs. :/
Until next time.
The queue emptied itself much faster than I thought it would. I remember gathering all those pictures while my daughter was asleep and thinking these will last forever. Apparently not. I noticed they did gain us a lot of followers, and I hope that people will not be too disappointed that, for the most part, we are just a boring married couple with a common goal. The most thrilling thing I am considering for this blog’s near future is posting a “before” picture of myself, and starting to update again.
Things have been stressful with the move. We are moving in 6 days, and I am really hoping that things get easier after that. It is hard to think about healthy eating, exercise, and packing up your life to take it somewhere else. It sounds like an excuse because it is an excuse. I would be lying if I said that M and I have remained entirely on the wagon. Weight-wise, I think that both of us have not lost much more in the moving process, but that we have maintained the losses we had made. That is something.
We are crawling back on to the wagon. I have been making sure to take our daughter, we’ll call her O, on walks every day. That is something. M has been walking with us some too and walking at work, so that is something. We are learning more Vegan recipes, so that is something.
It will get easier. It will become habit. It won’t be something we are trying to warp in to our lives forever.
SIDENOTE: Our new apartment has a patio. Guess who is going to be growing herbs, tomatoes, maybe some small peppers? Us! Who is excited? This girl.